Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big-Kid, Little-Kid

So, friends, much has happened since we last spoke. Time has passed, shows have passed, and I'm getting ready to start a new era (as they say) of my little old (young) life.

Today is Tuesday. On Friday I took my last bow at South High, an experience I was not in the least prepared for. Private Lives had many ups and downs (more downs than ups, I must say) but despite all the silly little high school drama, it was sad and scary to take my last high school bow. Now I have to venture out into the real world; I have to be a big kid, go out and find my own auditions and fight for roles. Scary. And in the end, Private Lives wasn't half bad. We had a huge audience that last night and (though my performance was not my best from the run) it was a really good show. My loverly lover stood up and gave me flowers before I bowed. I cried.

I will miss a lot about South High Theater; I'll miss that smelly green room and the massive stage with the awful acoustics. I've been thinking about it and I don't think I'll miss what I thought I'd miss; I won't miss that constancy, that place where I knew I was part of something. Eventually I'm sure I will but right now I just want to make my own life. Be part of me. That's stupid but there's no other way I can think to explain it. I will miss many of those kids though, I have a lot of Sophomore friends I don't spend enough time with, and I'll probably (certainly) spend less time with them after graduation. Sad day. Well... bittersweet day.

Yesterday, Monday, I took my last final. That's a lie, I have one on Friday but the credits aren't going towards graduating high school so I don't really care much. Anyway, I took my Bio final and thought I did better than I did, but I passed the class!!! Woo-hoo!! A "C" is fine with me :) Oh, and remember that Art and Archeology paper I was oh-so-diligent about? I'm not sure what I got on the paper, but it must have been good because I got an A- in the course!! Can we just take a moment to appreciate that I am now officially finished with high school? Okay, so I still have some online health to do, but that doesn't really count, now does it?? I'M DONE!!!

So. New era. Big kid stuff, bows and finals.

Now let's talk about prom! I went to my Senior Prom on Saturday with my loverly lover and a group of theater kids, including two of the loves of my life; Sophomores who I got to know last year when I cast them in a one-act I directed. Anyway I loved my outfit (for once, the last few years I went to prom I was not so keen on my choice of dress, etc.) and actually had a considerable amount of fun. I also got to take home one of the posters they decorated the wall with, they were just giant playing cards, I took the nine of spades :)


My favorite picture of the whole experience. It just looks to me like the lovely, mildy self-conscious but on-the-whole happy and joyful spirit of both that night, and the majority of my teenagerdom. Plus I absolutely love the people in that photo and, of course, they are utterly and completely beautiful creatures.

Also I cut my own bangs. Straight across and 20s esque, but I made 'em a little jagged and unclean, mostly because I am awful at cutting my hair but also because it suits me better. It was this impulse move... I haven't tried to cut my hair since fifth grade (a disaster) but I just went for the scissors and before I knew it... low and behold, bangs!

Went to my first R&J rehearsal since Private Lives, and it was a little intimidating but also quite comforting. We were expected to be off book but everyone was calling lines like nobody's business. I was afraid it was going to be just me, that all these real life professional types would have it down pat already. I don't think I really give myself enough credit sometimes... I mean, I'm a lazy S.O.B a lot of the time, but I do a lot. And I really do try. Maybe I'll be able to match up as an adult... maybe... ;)

So. That is my life.

I want you all to listen to She & Him and Vampire Weekend now. They are my new favorite thing. Check. Them. Out.

Oh, god, I'm tired. Goodnight, friends.

1 comment: