Saturday, May 1, 2010

R & J

All right so I'm old now, whatever. LET'S TALK ABOUT THEATER!!! After all, that is supposed to be subject of this blog, rather than silly teenage ramblings.

At the moment I am in two shows concurrently (plus a reading), something I've never done before and probably never will. At least not during finals week. Woo-hoo time to fail Bio!!! Anyway, it's stress city. Private Lives runs next week, which means I'm missing a week of Romeo & Juliet rehearsal... and Romeo's going to be in Czech Republic that week. It's not the worst play to run without the two main characters however, there are plenty of scenes they can do without us.

Private Lives = under-rehearsed
Romeo & Juliet = over rehearsed

Maybe I only feel like R & J is over rehearsed because I just did a reading of it and I already knew the script and character pretty well. (Side note: I'm pretty sure I am Juliet. Minus the situation of her life and death and all, I achingly relate to her) If I hadn't had that experience I'd probably really appreciate the extra work with the script.

Private Lives is another story. We preview Monday and we've never had a full run. Ever. We've never even had a run of Act III, there are some parts we've only done once, without direction or blocking from the director. And the director! God! I never felt like he cared about the show and JUST got my first set of notes from him. We preview MONDAY!!! It is AWFUL to go onstage feeling this under-rehearsed. Our director told us to go see a show this weekend at Southwest (our competing high school for pretty much everything, including theater) because "they know how to have fun onstage." Please don't criticize us for not having fun, sir. It's difficult to have fun when you HAVEN'T BLOCKED THE ENTIRE SHOW OR GIVEN US ANY NOTES EVER AND WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL WE'RE DOING. AT ALL. So. That's upsetting. As evident by the superfluous caps.

R&J is going pretty well though, I think. I'm the baby of the cast mega-time, but I think people like me well enough. I hope they do. I'm achingly shy and incredibly quiet, so it's usually more of a pleasant acknowledgment, I feel. I'm connecting with the director and the woman who plays my nurse, so that's good. Romeo's another story. I'm just a tad too awkward... but it'll totes happen and be marvelous.

We also had a photo shoot the other night! Apparently the poster is going to be a close up of my face. So that was not at all intimidating or overwhelming. Slash the most intimidating and overwhelming and slightly to incredibly awesome thing ever. We took photos with the Capulets, shots of the poster, other (non-poster) individual shots, AND Romeo and Juliet shots. It was pretty hectic and awesome and legit. We rehearse in this mega huge building that used to be a massive art gallery, and we have access to the whole thing, so there were portraits in the basement, shots in one room upstairs and more in another room.

Crazy.

Crazy life.

I'm really happy with that show and really glad to be a part of it. Being able to play Juliet in a steam punk Romeo & Juliet??? That's pretty much the greatest thing ever.

God, I'm happy.

At this moment.

Direct contrast to my last post, I suppose. I kind of go up and down a lot.

I've had a good few days. The photo shoot was on my birthday, I got a lot of love on my birthday, and more yesterday, and yet more today!

My next post will be documenting my gifts :)

Tonight is family celebration time, I plan to have boatloads of fun. Good plan? Good goddamn plan!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't think anyone likes either of the student directors this year. I always thought that it would be better to work with Nick, mostly just because he's an overall nicer person, but....guess not. Oh well. Life goes on, I guess. R&J sounds superduperawesomecool though. Break legs and everything!

    ReplyDelete